Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A hearty meal for a cold day


One of my favorite presents from this holiday season is my new madeline pan. I've wanted one for nearly a year, but with all my excessive baking supplies I couldn't justify purchasing another single-purpose pan.

For this first trial run, I made a half pan of the standard recipe from the Joy of Cooking. They turned out amazing, and I saved the rest of the batter to play with and attempt other variations. Nothing beats a fresh madeline with tea!



Yesterday, in my attempt to put off hitting up the grocery store for one more day, I produced a rather delicious soup from refrigerator odds and ends. I think today I'll finally have to go to the store, we've been out of milk for a few days and all the holiday leftovers are gone. I served this soup with homeade garlic & rosemary wheat bread. It was a hearty meal for a cold day.



Vegetable Beef Soup

1 lb ground beef
5 carrots
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped, greens separated and chopped
5 mushrooms
5 cloves garlic
1 bottle V-8
1 quart chicken stock
Pepper and crushed red pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef in a large stock pot, when it's mostly cooked at the chopped carrots, and kale stems. Cook for 5 minutes to soften the vegetables, then add the V8 and chicken stock. Cover and bring to a simmer for 30 minutes. Add the kale greens, mushrooms, and garlic, and simmer 5-10 minutes more until soft.

3 comments:

Blanchardlawn said...

Now you made me miss the cold weather again!

Angela said...

Yum, wish I could join your for soup, followed by tea and madelines :) just curious, why did you pick that particular pan? I was considering getting one for myself -- there are so many different types.

also, i may have to send you $$ to go down and get some lady grey tea to send to me from the english store in lawrence!

Hygeian Stew said...

I really like the pan you guys got me, it's very sturdy and it's the traditional thick tin.

I remember reading that the non-stick variety of pans don't produce the same browning that is desired for these cookie cakes. However, with the Tin variety you do have to go through the hassle of buttering and flouring the pan (but it really doesn't take that long).

I know there are silicone ones too (personally, I don't care for baking in silicone, it feels way to flimsy - I prefer something with heft!)

Any tea (or coffee) you want, just let us know! No $$ required!