Wednesday, March 26, 2008

St. Patricks did come to our house, I swear!


Growing up, St. Patrick's day was a Big Deal.

I remember the requisite green clothes (my mom can give a nasty pinch), and the unbelievably large collection of shamrock-themed socks I managed to accrue.

These days (thankfully) few people seem to recognize the green wardrobe requirement, but the only businesses (sadly) who seem to get hyped about the holiday are the many bars in town. I remember last year I tried calling every place I could think of to get some corned beef and cabbage, to no avail.

What's a good little cook to do? Why, cook it herself! Growing up my mom always made this in the crockpot, filling the house all day with the scents of what-was-to-come. I choose to prepare mine in my trusty cast iron. The beef was delicous, as was to be expected, but the show stopper was this soda bread/cake I found here.

Simply Recipes was the first food blog I started reading years ago and it's still my go-to blog when I'm looking for a sure thing. I've never made anything from this site that I haven't enjoyed.

So if you feel like trying a simple bread, and your feeling lucky-try this out!

No comments: